Many people want to have facelift surgery, but may be asking themselves, “Is facelift surgery painful?” While the recovery for a facelift does involve some pain, knowing what to expect can change your anxiety over the pain involved with a facelift.
Pain is often described as more of a discomfort, compared to actual pain. Tension is often felt in the face, and this is something that can be uncomfortable, but pain should not be overwhelming after this procedure. Many doctors will have a consultation with a patient before a scheduled procedure. This can be a great time to discuss pain, and this can help you to feel more comfortable on your surgery day.
According to John Hopkins Medicine, “Your doctor may prescribe pain medication to alleviate any discomfort you may feel in the days following the surgery. You may have some numbness after the surgery, which will also disappear with time.”
You will find that you will be prescribed with pain medication that you can use after your facelift surgery. This can help you reduce your pain in a very effective manner. Many patients find that prescription medication can reduce pain, but there are some other things you can do to help alleviate pain and discomfort the first few days following your surgery.
- For the first 24 hours it can be helpful to stay propped up. You can use pillows and cushions to help you stay in the proper position after facelift surgery.
- Movement of the face should be minimized immediately following surgery. Your diet will need to be soft, or liquid. You will also need to turn your head with the shoulders not to minimize movement.
- Cold compresses should be used on the cheeks and eyes following surgery. Many surgeons recommend 30 minutes on, and 15 minutes off.
- Pain should not become severe after this procedure. If your pain increases to a severe level, you should contact your surgeon right away.
- If you have high blood pressure at home, you should self monitor to ensure that your blood pressure stays within normal levels.
The swelling in the eye area will often increase for the first couple days after the procedure, but this should not increase pain. You will often look worse before you look better, but you should notice that your pain begins to decrease as the days pass following surgery.
Is facelift surgery painful? While any surgery will create some pain for you, it should be manageable. You should report any pain that you cannot control. When you understand what to expect with facelift pain, it can help you to really know what to expect. This information can help you to decide if this is right for you.